Monday, April 30, 2012

How to obfuscate java code quickly?

How to obfuscate code quickly. I have a very small Java App and I want to deliver the obfuscated code to my client. I have heard a lot about ProGuard to obfuscate code and have downloaded it but doesn't know how to obfuscate my "abc.jar" file.



I checked out its website but it contains a lot of material to read. I don't need heavy obfuscation. I just need a obfuscate that simply changes the name of variables, methods and classes to some unreadable ones. I know proguard provide all of this with a ton of other functionalities too.



Q1. So could anyone tell me please some simple obfuscators or some simple steps to use proguard so that I can just input "abc.jar" and it outputs "obfuscate_abc.jar" or something simple like that.



Q2. One more thing, as my java program uses external libraries, so should i need to obfuscate those libraries too?



Q3. Is there any eclipse or netbeans plugin availabe to this obfuscation?



I have also heard that we should retain the mapping table file with us so that in future we can debug or edit that obfuscated code by first de-obfuscating with the help of that mapping-table which was created at the time of obfuscation.



Q4. So, one more question is Why do we need to keep that mapping-table with us. We can simply retain a copy of un-obfuscated application so as to make changes in that (if required in future). Is there any reason to retain that mapping-table file with us?





No comments:

Post a Comment